Best Hard Disk Drives: You may have concluded that a high-end computer, whether it’s designed for gaming or not, will be nearly useless without a stable and robust storage subsystem (usually featured by the mechanical hard drive (HDD). The reason for this is simple, and it is because the data you request to process is stored on the hard drive, which has the responsibility of making the data available/accessible on demand.
Best Hard Disk Drives
When the hard disk is slow, this process is also quiet, so the entire data processing process will slow down, and the symptom will be more visible when handling large/heavy files like in video games. Today, the CPU, graphics card, or RAM speed/size do not present the biggest bottleneck in the performance of modern gaming systems, as their specifications are usually adequate or even of high standards. I hope, our list of Best Hard Disk Drives will help you a lot in upgrading your system.
Review: Buying a gaming desktop; buyer ultimate guide.
Instead, it is the speed of the storage subsystem that your computer uses. Using a fast and reliable storage solution to fix this problem is undoubtedly the best action to take if your primary concern is to have a flawless and seamless gaming experience. This guide you are reading now abounds with valuable information on gaming hard drives and will take you through this world to help you find the best gaming hard drive available on the market.
This guide you are reading now abounds with valuable information on gaming hard drives and will take you through this world to help you find the best gaming hard drive available on the market. I don’t think to find the best, and fastest gaming hard drive is an easy task due to the avalanche of HDD brands that would confuse users on what to choose and what to neglect.
Best Gaming Hard Disk Drives 2020
After long research on this topic, we have chosen a specific number of hard drives and have sorted them according to their class, whether enthusiastic or conventional.
Beneath the HDD overview is an informative and beneficial guide that states our criteria on how we nominate these particular hard drives and how we rank them. You will also find other valuable information that will undoubtedly enlighten you on the whole matter.
Founded on April 23, 1970, Western Digital Corporation (commonly known as Western Digital and often abbreviated as WDC or WD) are an American computer data storage company and one of the world’s largest manufacturers of computer hard drives, along with Seagate Technology. We personally recommend WD, find a Best Hard Disk Drives manufactured by WD.
Seagate Technology PLC (commonly known as Seagate) is a data storage company founded in the United States. Seagate is one of the world leaders in data warehousing solutions, developing amazing products that enable individuals and businesses around the world to create, share, and preserve their most critical business data and memories.
Toshiba Corporation (commonly known as Toshiba, stylized as TOSHIBA) is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation based in Tokyo, Japan. Its diversified products and services include information technology and communications equipment and systems, electronic components and materials, power systems, industrial and social infrastructure systems, consumer electronics, household appliances, medical equipment, office equipment, lighting, and logistics.
The Standards for Determining the HDDs;
In this search, some basic and intuitive standards must be taken into account before determining the appropriate hard drive for your gaming platform:
1. The hard drive manufacturer must be prominent and highly reputable in the industry. This condition ensures that the hard drive you choose is not of poor quality. We only recommend these hard drive manufacturers: Western Digital (WD), Hitachi (HGST) [Recently acquired by WD], Seagate and Toshiba.
2. The hard drive model should not be too old. Just be sure to choose the newest model from a particular brand of the hard drive. Because the technology is in continuous progress and development, unless your computer is already old, if you choose a hard drive model produced earlier than 3 years from today, you will most likely miss out on some major improvements in performance and reliability. If the brand of the hard drive has stopped development, you’d better go to another brand or even change the manufacturer itself.
3. Identify yourself and determine what class of users you belong to. Are you an enthusiast who always plays expensive and heavy high-end games? Or do you consider yourself a regular (i.e. mainstream) gamer who often doesn’t put much load on the computer? Just don’t let the awesome, rugged features of high-end hard drives dazzle you, and consequently encourage you to buy one as long as you don’t have a real need for the strength they offer. Just have a fair estimate of yourself and your needs, then choose the right disk for you.
4. If you are an enthusiast, make sure the unit you choose has been expertly tested and reviewed. This will ensure that the particular disc you are interested in is worth it. It will also help you discover the pros and cons of the disk so you know how to get the most out of it.
5. The warranty period must be sufficient. Generally, a 3-year limited warranty is sufficient for most users, including enthusiasts. But even a 2-year warranty is good for light use.
Once you implement these standards, you can be sure that you have chosen the best hard drive you have been looking for.
Best gaming hard drives 2020
All hard drives presented in the summary follow the most important standards listed above. All of them are from prominent manufacturers who have a high reputation in the HDD industry and have decent warranty terms ranging from 2 to 5 years.
During the process of our research and compilation of this guide, we devoted most of our focus and efforts to researching high-end hard drives for enthusiasts because they are more expensive in price and supposed to last too long, so your case is more sensitive than conventional hard drives. ‘ That’s why you will see rich elaborations and informative details once you click on the View More Details button located at the bottom of the profile section of the hard drive.
As for conventional hard drives in our roundup, they are not considered faulty drives, they are good enough for your purposes. So don’t underestimate them. They are strong enough to handle your daily light to medium weight games. Even if your goal is to play high-end heavyweight games, they’re good (albeit not as good as enthusiasts’), as long as this isn’t your constant habit.
Which is better for gaming: SSD or HDD?
Solid-state drives (SSDs) have become very common today in high-end systems designed with extreme performance in mind as a top priority.
Now you can barely find a modern top-notch gaming computer without a built-in SSD inside. This is because there is no denying the fact that current SSDs are faster magnitudes and much more reliable than HDDs. Even though they have their own drawbacks, they remain unavoidable and a must for every performance platform that only cares about performance, nothing more!
Benefits of Using SSD for Gaming
There are several notable benefits that you will get when you configure your gaming computer with an SSD. Below we will briefly list the most important ones:
- Game files will load exponentially faster than HDD. This is the biggest advantage of SSDs over HDDs. This helps reduce the launch time of the game and move to a newer stage of the game.
- Complex high-end games that require resources will run smoothly with an SSD. This is due to the force of multitasking on an SSD that allows you to handle multiple tasks at once without any noticeable performance impact.
- An SSD will take online gaming to the next level. Because an SSD features very fast write speed, it will write online game data much faster than HDD, which will enhance your online gaming experience. These features will only serve users with a very fast Internet connection.
- The game installation process will be much faster. Modern high-end games come in huge file size (one AAA game file can be up to 50GB in size), and when you use an SSD during the installation process, component files will be extracted and written so quickly that it will decrease notably the installation time.
So what justifies using a mechanical hard drive after all? Well, there are some strengths that lead to that trend.
Choosing a Mechanical Hard Drive for Gaming?
You may already be asking the question that since SSD is so much better than HDD why are HDD makers still developing it? In short, the answer is: because it is much cheaper and provides adequate performance compared to SSD. Just a few months ago, one of the main drawbacks of SSD was the limited capacity that could not exceed 2TB even in the business space.
But now, since Samsung launched its first 16TB enterprise-grade SSD, the SSD has the upper hand over the HDD in this regard. But that oversized SSD is also too expensive for a person to buy (Samsung hasn’t made that drive available yet, but it will be in a few months from now, and the price is expected to be between $ 5000 and $ 7000 depending on BackBlaze).
Now if you do a simple price comparison between SSD and HDD, you will see a big difference. A Seagate 8TB business hard drive costs around $ 450, while a Samsung 850 Evo 2TB, which is a conventional disk, costs around $ 650 at the time of writing. Mainly for that reason, I can undoubtedly say that a modern high-end hard drive is still a very attractive choice for gamers due to the large storage capacity it offers at the right price.
FAQs on Best Hard Disk Drives:
Below are frequently asked questions about choosing a relevant gaming hard drive and the most practical method to get the most out of it.
Q: Which capacity suits me best?
Answer; In fact, it depends on your interests and how you use your computer. As for me, I’ve been using just a 500GB hard drive for years and still use it, and when I run out of space, I simply send the rarely used additional files to an external hard drive for archiving.
Theoretically, you don’t need more than 1TB if you’re just a light gamer like me, or if you mainly play online games. Otherwise, as an enthusiast who has many high-end games to play, you will need at least 4TB of capacity to serve you for years to come. Add to that your additional digital needs in addition to games.
If you download and save a lot of HD movies, even if you consider yourself “mainstream”, a capacity of 1TB will be a joke! You will also need at least 4TB, like an enthusiast.
Q: Using a new HDD with an old one in RAID0?
Answer: We don’t recommend it at all, because modern hard drives are faster (they can be twice as fast as previous versions). So when you set them both to RAID0, the array will adopt the speed of the slowest drive in the set. That way, you will lose the speed advantage of your new album.
Q: What to do with the old hard drive?
Answer: Replacing the old hard drive does not necessarily mean getting rid of it. If it still works well, even if it’s slow, you can take advantage of it forever by keeping it as an expansion storage device for archiving purposes.
Q: Any recommendations for PS4 hard drive?
Answer: If you plan to use a desktop hard drive on PS4, we recommend that you read this valuable guide that will teach you how to add a 3.5-inch desktop hard drive to your PS4 console that would replace the existing internal hard drive. If you use this method, we recommend using a conventional hard disk.
Last words At the end of the day, choosing a good and strong hard drive for gaming purposes is inevitable if you are serious about improving your gaming experience and taking it to the next level. High-end video games require robust computers in every aspect to handle them, and if the PC components are all fast and working just as well, except the hard drive, then the overall performance of the system will drop dramatically, and it won’t do any good.
Remarkable from the strength of other components. From there the need arises for a fast top-notch PC gaming best hard drive. If you have some suggestion regarding this topic “Best Hard Disk Drives” must share it through our commenting option. Suggest topic is; How to Use Cloud Backup.